Thursday, February 12, 2009

February 5th - First Thursday Team Night

So I went to my team's practice in Santa Fe again. This time for some exercise, but also because we're doing a team dinner on First Thursdays. ( I capitalize because this was always a free admission to galleries artwalk Baltimore event) I had fun working with new kids again, and broke a sweat drilling some. The best part for me was the family feeling that's happening - and I don't mean among teammates. There were 2 friends of skaters watching, a happy grandma with a new skater's baby watching, and at one point, someone's husband and kids popped in to watch and cheer for bit.

My first league was full of moms, and our kids and partners were around all the time - it was a very family friendly environment. Here, when I first arrived, I was one of 3 moms, and the kids are rarely at practices or league events. It feels more like home to have peoples' families around. It's part of what I found really empowering in the beginning - that we could do this thing as mothers, and didn't have to keep our family lives separate from it. We could be all the things that we are (athlete, mother, friend, teammate, worker, etc.) in the space we created, instead of compartmentalizing. I loved the idea that all of our kids were growing up exposed to this environment we'd created - all the diverse women, the hard work and competition, making things happen together. It especially made me happy to think about what the little boys would be like when they grew up, having been raised in derby practices, fundraisers, and bouts, babysat by rollergirls, etc.

After practice we had dinner together, and it was a really good time. As usual, derby attracts amazing people, and I was delighted to learn more about the newer folks, who are all fascinating. There are also even more moms than I thought, which is also nice. People brought partners, too, and their other halves were equally as interesting and fun. I am excited to get to know all of these people better. All told, I am feeling better, but still not excited by actually playing derby. At least I'm feeling more like I've found a home, though. It's a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment