I went to travel team practice yesterday morning. I did drills, and watched scrimmage. There is no way in hell, after not skating for months, that I'm scrimmaging a team that's going to a tourney in less than 3 weeks. Maude forbid my form is sloppy and I break one of them - we have a shortage of strong players here, and I won't be responsible for shortening that roster... Drills were fine, my knees were killing me all day after, just achy from all the impacty agility training. Nothin exciting, just nice to watch the tt do their thing.
Sad to hear the newer skater sitting out with me talk some party line brainwashing of one particular super competitive skater about how "you can tell who really wants it by who shows up." I said "and you can tell who has other priorities by who doesn't - that's what home teams are for. not everyone needs to be a Rock Star." More on this subject later, but I' m about over the positioning of some people to oppose and shame anyone on a league who isn't willing to give up their entire life to play derby 24-7. Everyone has value in a league - EVERYONE, each at her own ability and availability. Even the girls who don't "want it".
Monday, February 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
i made an account just to follow your blog. be honored.
ReplyDeleteseeing that old fight kinda hurts my soul a little bit. i would agree with the party line that people who eat/sleep/dream derby "want it more", because when that's all you do, yeah you want it more than anything, more than anyone else who has shit else to do does. but what i hate to see is mistaking that for "meaning more" as in personal value, either as a person in general or as a skater to the league. some people like to be monomaniacal about a single pursuit, some need alot of pursuits to keep them happy. i hate watching the two types judge the other, either for being pathetically narrow, or pathetically scattered. not cool.