I went to Saturday newbie practice again, with the husband and little one in tow - just to get the family out of the house and moving - there's a playground next to where we skate. I did a bit of drills, some laps, helped a little, and then we had appointments to get to. It was nice to see people, and get moving some more. Our new girls are looking amazing, I can't wait to see them play!
At night I went to the hockey game at our new venue to help promote our season, and it turned out to be a really good time. I took my older daughter, because she wanted to help, and her best friend goes to all the hockey games, so they met up for a sleepover there. Hockey fans are such a natural fanbase for derby! I had done promotion with the league at the venue for a cage fighting/ MMA event a few months prior, and response was not so warm. At hockey, everyone was excited to take a schedule, ask us questions, watch our footage, and lots of people said they would come, and asked for season ticket info! It was really, really exciting, and fun to talk to people about our league.
This was good remedy for what ails me, as far as trying to find some excitement in what we're doing. Seeing the fans so pumped to come see us was amazing. Especially they way the super - rabid hockey superfans kept talking to us about our sport in the context of sports - almost no one was asking if it was fake or talking about its older incarnation on tv. They were talking about it as the new sport they wanted to learn about and be a fan of. That's progress. Or maybe, that's our real market? Hockey fans - I love them!
My captain and another skater I love pretty much talked me into going to Munecas practice on Sunday morning, but in the end I didn't go because I had a big test to study for, and I had promised my older daughter and her friend a movie in the afternoon for making Honor Roll. I saw the Uninvited and helped them shop for Valentines Dance dresses instead :) Priorities.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
loves :)
ReplyDelete